As the day progressed, I was given alot of advice and many comments were said. I kept a list of all things that were either insensitive or hurtful - not on purpose of course - but should have required some thought before being said. In my opinion, here are the top 5 things of what NOT to say to someone who has suffered a miscarriage:
1) Miscarriage is so common. It will be ok the next time! ...and you know this for a fact how? Thanks, I feel so much better.
2) So are you going to "try" again? um yeah, just as soon as I quit bleeding from my D&C!
3) At least you weren't too far along when you lost "it"! I guess having a miscarriage at 7 weeks is easier than at 12 weeks?
4) You are still young - you can always try for another! last time I checked I was considered Advanced Maternal Age...I'm not as young as you think!
5) At least you know now you can get pregnant! yeah...this somehow makes me feel so much better
Please take some advice from someone who has been there. If you aren't quite sure what to say to someone who has had a miscarriage, please don't say any of the above. Instead, how about just saying "I'm sorry!" and just leave it at that. It might seem generic to you, but trust me, it's the most appropriate and non-hurtful thing you can say to someone who is grieving over their loss.
3 comments:
I swear that was going to be my exact statement, "people suck". They do.
When you leave for work tomorrow don't forget your "I don't have time to talk to a-hole's today, move along, thank you" sign.
People do suck. There is a certain filter that some people just aren't born with...it creates total diarrhea (or however you spell it) of the mouth. They go on and on and you just want them to shove it.
I hope tomorrow goes better!
Wow, I just got on to say that I Hate People, and that they SUCK, and it seems that I'm not alone. What the hell is wrong with these people? Do they think they are helpful? I'm sorry you had to deal with that. My sister--in-law is 36, and she had a miscarriage last week, and she is dealing with the same insensitive crap. Makes me so mad....
Post a Comment