Monday, March 15

Comfort Food

One of my favorite "comfort" foods is a really good Apple Crisp. There is just something about warm apples & that crumbly, crunchy, oatey goodness that goes on top. Being that it was a dreary & cold weekend, I decided to make some Sunday evening for dessert. It turned out oh so yummy! (Please excuse the mess on the side of the dish. This sous chef was in a hurry)

I prefer my apple crisp plain while Shane prefers some Vanilla Bean ice cream on top. Regardless of how you like it, this recipe is sure to make you say "mmm mmm good"! Lucky for you I am sharing it with you all :)

HT's Apple Crisp

•3-4 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
•1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
•1/3 cup granulated sugar
•1/2 cup all-purpose flour
•3/4 cup quick cooking oats
•1/2 cup melted butter
•1/3 cup water
•1 tsp granulated sugar
•dash of cinnamon
•dash of nutmeg
•whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for topping

Preparation:

Arrange sliced apples in a buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle apples with 1 tsp sugar, a dash of cinnamon & nutmeg if you like.


In a bowl, combine the sugars, flour, and oats; stir in melted butter. Spread mixture over the apples. Pour water evenly over top. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes, until apples are tender and top is nicely browned. Serve warm or cooled with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 4-6.

PS: I double the sugar/flour/oat/butter mixture because I like a lot of extra crumbly topping on my apple crisp :) Make sure to pour an additional 1/3 cup of water over mixture if you double it.


Enjoy...and your welcome!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am with you on the apple crisp, Heather! That sounds so good right now...is it bad that it is 9:30 in the morning?

I think I'll be whipping up Heather's apple crisp soon!