Wednesday, December 15

Sick :(

This thing has invaded my body. I have been fighting it for the last week & it finally has taken over & gotten the best of me.

What is it you ask?

Why this pretty, prickly colorful ball is the Rhinovirus. AKA: the common cold & it got me good.

Day 1 - Friday: Denial - It’s the end of the day & I feel wiped out. I can’t remember doing much of anything, the tired feeling indicates otherwise so I assume I must have done lots of things, had a productive day, & that is why I don’t have any energy. I stop by the store after work to get some OJ, extra Vitamin C & cough drops & end up going to bed early - I am NOT getting sick!

Day 2 - Saturday: Anger - I wake up & my throat is a bit raw from the nasal drip all night long. I struggle to get out of bed & find the energy to get going. My morning coffee & granola bar do not taste as expected. I am adamant that this will not slow me down so I get my day started & rush out the door. Lots of errands to run & a Christmas party in the evening! By the end of the day, my throat is now a bit scratchy. I repeat to myself “I REFUSE TO GET SICK!” & pop another Vitamin C tablet into my mouth. Dinner is not very appealing as it has no taste & I find myself getting irritated with the hubby & the furry children when they suggest I might be coming down with something. Off to the Christmas party I go...scratchy throat & all!

Day 3 - Sunday: Bargaining - I wake up with a completely congested nose & sound like a frog when I try to croak out my morning greetings to the furries. I stagger into the bathroom & just stand there. I figure a hot shower will make me feel better – I CAN beat this. I start to list my symptoms & look into the medicine cabinet to find I am out of Tylenol & cough medicine. DAMN! I need drugs! They will cure this & make me feel better! Later that day I stop at the pharmacy. I need some serious cold medicine to help defeat these symptoms. I leave with a bottle of NyQuil, Robitussin Cough & Cold, Sudafed, Tylenol, DayQuil & almost $30 poorer.

Day 4 - Monday: Depression - The next day, I wake with a dry, hacking cough. My nose is still congested so every time I cough, my head feels like it will explode. The NyQuil has fogged my brain. I add Tylenol to my morning breakfast along with the DayQuil which makes my morning juice taste bitter & my blessed coffee now resembles tar. Just then I feel a sneeze coming on & even before the big event, I know how much it is going to hurt. I brace for impact but it doesn't help. The sneeze comes & it is painful. My equilibrium is gone & quick movement is not wise. I walk slowly to the bathroom & let my hot shower last a good long time. At work, I am miserable. I can’t focus nor can I quit coughing. Everyone tells me to go home. At 1:30pm I finally give in.

Acceptance: I am sick. I have a cold. There, I’ve said it. I get home & take a long hot shower before going to bed – hours ahead of schedule. Organized on the bedside table, I plan out my night –Robitussin with Tylenol; the NyQuil ready when I inevitably wake up in the middle of the night; I don't skip the NyQuil as I have already decided at 2am that I will be staying home tomorrow; consume mega doses of Vitamin C, along with Tylenol & DayQuil with the morning juice & granola bar but I skip the coffee; then right back to bed. This will be my routine for the next couple of days. Then I will start to find my way out to the other side of this miserable experience.

Today is Wednesday & having been off of work for the last 2 days I am slowly starting to feel better but this non-productive cough is what's going to kill me. No amount of Robitussin or Hall's cough drops helps & I feel like I have done 200 sit-ups....hourly for the last 2 days!

Ugh - it sucks being sick....

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Feel better HT. I was home Wednesday and Thursday of last week with the same crude. Not fun!

Hugs,
Mel~

Keri said...

Boo! I hope you get better soon!

Desiree said...

Aww, I'm so sorry you've got the crud. Just stay in bed or on the sofa and watch lots of trash tv or curl up with your favorite book. Take care of you!

BTW, we just got your Christmas card and I loved it so much!! You so pretty... :-)