It was bound to happen sooner or later. My mother has warned me several times and I hate to say that she was right but she was. It was only a matter of time before the "incident" would happen.
It was 5:30am and I had gotten up to go to the bathroom. As I returned, I see Bentley on the floor wanting up in the bed. So, as I have done so many days and so many nights, I lifted him up in the bed. And that's when the "incident" happened...I felt a zing in my lower back and I was frozen. I literally couldn't move. I dropped Bentley and felt my back start to spasm. Now I had thought I had a pretty high threshold for pain but I have never felt pain like I did at that moment. If labor is anything like that kind of pain then I am SCREWED! I started to BAWL! The pain was SO intense that I was instantly nauseous & I swore I was going to throw up.
Poor Shane...he stood there not knowing what to do to help me. And then the distant memory of his dirt bike accident with his back injury came back to haunt him and he went into "nurse mode" and told me exactly what to do. I was SO proud of him for knowing what to do to help me. He remained relaxed and didn't panic at all which really helped. He is going to be a great birthing coach if I ever get the chance to go into labor :)
He finally got me back into bed reminding me to breathe and relax. For some reason I start doing Lamaze breathing which helped me tons and I just sucked it up through the muscle spasms. Once I got back into bed I felt like I couldn't move. As soon as I laid down I had this instant strong urge of having to go the bathroom. It wasn't going to wait so I had Shane help me out of bed to the bathroom.
I was amazed at all the ways you use your back muscles. I couldn't sit up by myself without having a back spasm. Couldn't bring myself to sit down on the toilet without having a spasm. Couldn't stand up without a spasm. By this point I started to see stars and felt like I was going to pass out. Shane finally got me back into bed and I was there for the next 6 hours! Shane had leftover Valium & pain pills from his accident so I took a Valium & ibuprofen, put an ice pack under my back and slept. It was the best 6 hours of sleep I think I have ever had :)
So the rest of the day has been nothing but Darvocet, ibuprofen, Icy Hot, ice packs and rest. By this evening I managed to feel a bit better and hadn't had any back spasms since this morning. Hopefully I will get a good nights rest...bring on the Valium :)
2 comments:
I can picture you doing Lamaze breathing. I hope you are better. Please call me if you need anything!
HT!
I hope you are in a drug induced wonderland, sleeping away the cold yucky weather and getting better! Let me know if you need anything!!!
Michelle O
Post a Comment