I first noticed it 2 weeks ago & took her into our vet where they drained 60ml of pink-tinged serous fluid off of it. The vet told us to watch it & if it filled back up to bring her back in.
Well, within 6 days it filled back up so back to the vet we went. They drained another 60ml of fluid off & this time sent the fluid to the lab to be tested. Results came back benign serous fluid with infection probably as a result of an inflammatory response. So we were referred to the "big-wigs" at the VCA Mission Animal Referral & Emergency Center.
Bullies are so lazy they lay down to drink water :)
Millie is no stranger to the VCA facility. She has been there before for her luxating patella surgery & again for her torn ACL repair surgery. And now we are back for yet another surgery.
Can you say $$$$$$$$$$? We jokingly call Millie our $10,000 bionic dog! Not really joking :(
Chilling while waiting to go back to pre-op
Ugh - it was so hard saying "goodbye" to this sweet smooshie faced girl. She is going to be 10 years old this June & Bulldogs are known to have respiratory problems - especially in surgery due to their brachycephalic-shaped faces & short palettes. Being that this surgery was elective I couldn't help but feel that I was making a huge mistake putting her through this. What if she didn't make it out of surgery? I would feel horrible guilt forever. Not to mention having to explain to Mason what happened to Millie.
I kissed her sweet face, turned around & started to walk out. Of course I had to look back at her one last time before I went through the door & her little butt was planted firmly to the ground, not moving, just staring at me as if she was saying "don't leave me". Ugh - cue the tears :(
I was nervous ALL morning while I anxiously awaited that phone call from the surgeon. That call came around 1pm & thankfully he said she did great! She was in recovery, pain was under control & they were able to remove everything without complications. The cyst is being sent to pathology for further review so we will get those results at her 2 week post-op appointment. She is going to be spending the night in ICU & should be able to go home late morning tomorrow if everything looks ok.
I felt so much better hearing that she was doing so good & only checked on her 4 times - 5 if you count the phone call the next morning :)
We were amazed that evening at how quiet the house was not having her around. Even though Millie & Bentley are pretty lazy & mainly just eat, sleep, fart, slobber & hang out in every room you are in (including the bathroom) there presence is very much missed when they aren't around.
Can't wait to get her home in the morning & get her on the road to recovery!!
No comments:
Post a Comment