Have you ever seen that show "What Would You Do"?
In the show, actors act out scenes of conflict or illegal activity in public settings while hidden cameras videotape the scene & the focus is on whether or not bystanders intervene & how.
Well while I was sitting at Panera today having a quick lunch by myself I felt like I was on that show & I was expected at any minute to get up out of my seat & intervene with the situation that was unfolding in front of me.
These are the "actors":
Now I know that I am not the most perfect mother in the world & I have my days where I am frustrated with Mase but no matter how frustrated I can get you would never hear me say the kind of things to my child that were coming out of this ladies mouth - in a public place mind you nor would I make promises to my child I didn't intend to keep.
The mom is in teal, the sweet little girl named Darcy is in the middle & a girlfriend is on the right. The very well behaved little girl has been eating mac-n-cheese & yogurt while sitting there patiently for an hour while her mom & friend visit & says she is finished. The mom keeps insisting she "shut-up & finish her meal".
The little girl is clearly full but the mom would not let up on her. She kept telling her to eat all her food & then she will get a cookie. It was when I heard this statement "I know how big that mouth of yours is so I know you can finish your meal" is when I started to feel uncomfortable & get pissed.
The little girl finally finishes her food with no complaining & asks her mom for the cookie she promised her. The mom tells her because of her attitude she doesn't get to have a cookie, proceeds to share the cookie with her girlfriend, eat it in front of her daughter & gave the poor child none. The child starts to cry, the mom grabs her arm, yells at her - for the entire restaurant to hear & then takes her to the bathroom.
It took all I could do to not run into that bathroom, grab that child & hug her, buy her a cookie & throat punch the mother.
What kind of parenting is this & what lessons does it teach to this poor little girl?? I was so bothered sitting there watching this entire situation go down & I had to fight back the tears I felt for that poor little girl.
So as I sat there, I did the only thing I knew to do - I prayed for the little girl & her mother. Then I proceeded to pray for myself & asked forgiveness for being so judgemental & critical of a situation that was none of my business.
I am so hoping the mom was just frustrated & having a bad day & this is not how she treats her daughter all the time?!
get
1 comment:
It's so hard to know what to do in those situations. I'm always afraid that if I said something, the mom would beat the kid once they got home for embarrassing the mom. But yeah, if I didn't think it would harm the little girl later, I totally would have throat punched the mom too.
Sometimes parents suck. :-(
Post a Comment