Monday, January 27

Letter to Mason

  
Dear Mason,

Tomorrow is your very first birthday!! Mommy & Daddy are so very excited to be celebrating this first of many milestones with you! As I look down at you asleep in your crib tonight, I am overcome with emotion. Being your Mommy has been the most joyful, exhausting, rewarding, funnest & fullest year of my life. I am so very thankful for you & even more thankful that God chose to give us you. Thankful that he picked you just as you are & blessed us with your precious little life.

Exactly one year ago this evening I was admitted into the hospital to prepare for your arrival. I remember so very clearly the turn of events that happened up until meeting you for the first time. 
When I saw you for the first time, I was in awe that you were finally here. You were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. When I heard you cry for the first time it made Mommy cry because I had waited so very long to meet you & be able to hear that beautiful sound. 
 
When I finally got to hold you in my arms you looked right into my eyes, stopped crying & it was truly love at first site. It was the most magical moment of my entire life. In that moment, I was your mother & you were my son & you would be changing my life forever.
So hard to believe that a year has passed since that amazing day!
This past year brought us many "firsts" - we saw your very first smile, heard your first giggles, cheered you on when you began to roll over for the first time. I cheered & cried when you finally started to crawl since you had struggled with getting the crawling thing down. 
You had your first solid foods, took your first steps, said your first word & so, so much more. I am so proud & amazed at how far you have come in one short year. 
You came into this world weighing 7 lbs 4 oz looking so tiny, so soft & pink, so innocent & dependent & absolutely perfect in every way. And now look at you! You are no longer a little baby but now a little boy - 24 lbs of laughing, talking, walking, clapping, happiness who charms every person lucky enough to meet you.
You are turning one year old tomorrow & beginning a new journey - a journey that will take you in many different directions & teach you many things. As I sit & watch you sleeping, I think of the man I hope you’ll become & how I will do anything & everything to be a good mother to you & help guide you in your journey through childhood & into adulthood.

You have grown into such an amazing little person already. You are so sweet & so very loving. You never grow tired of giving out hugs or kisses & I hope as you grow older that never changes. You are so smart & I know in my heart there are big things ahead for you. You also seem to have a gentle & wise spirit - my little “old soul.” You have already made this world a better place for being in it & I feel so honored to have been chosen to be your mother.

You melt my heart every time you smile & when you wrap those little arms around my neck & squeeze ever so tight - I melt every single time. Those hugs help make the world right again. Never in my life have I been so excited to wake up because I get to wake up & see you. I look so forward to when you finally open those beautiful brown eyes of yours & I get to see your precious, smiling face. It makes me excited for what the day has in store for all of us.

Tomorrow we will start a new chapter in our lives - life with a one year old. This last year has been an amazing journey. It has been the most rewarding, incredible, special time in my whole life. I will cherish the experience of your first year of life in a very special way & treasure it always in my heart.
Words cannot express how much I love you Mason. You are my little Bubba, my sunshine, my heart, my purpose for being - my everything. I’m so proud of you & so very honored to be your Mommy. This last year has been filled with priceless memories & I look forward to so many more to come.

Lastly, my prayer for you, my hope for your future is that you become a man of God, a leader, a man who is stable, caring, independent, smart, gentle & strong like your Daddy. I pray for your purpose & for your life story. Being our "miracle baby" I know you are here for something big & important & I thank God for letting us be here to witness your life. 
Happy first birthday, my precious, sweet little man!

Love,
Mommy & Daddy

No comments: