Sunday, July 28

Deanna Rose Farmstead

Ever since I have lived in the KC area, I have heard talk of this fabulous little farmstead in the middle of Overland Park, KS from friends & co-workers. In the 14 years that I have lived here I have never been...mainly because we never had a reason to go. Now that we have Mason we were excited to check this place out & see what the hype was all about!

Deanna Rose was a police officer & the first female officer to die in the line of duty in the state of Kansas. The farmstead was renamed in 1985 in her honor & this 12 acre farmstead has kept the "charm of the farm" to children living in the city. 

I grew up on a farm in South Dakota & spent many summers on my grandparents farm bottle-feeding the calves, watching grandpa milk the cows, gathering eggs with my grandma, riding the 4-wheeler & had so much fun. So this little place takes me back to those treasured days & I am so excited to be able to share these experiences with Mason. 

Deanna Rose has so much to offer. While there the kids can bottle feed the baby goats, milk a cow, take a horse drawn wagon ride through the woods, go on a pony ride, feed the ducks & so much more. He is of course too little to be able to do all those things now but that didn't stop him from having a great time while there.

We arrived around noon & loaded up the stroller. It was an overcast day, not too hot, a little humid but overall perfect weather. Cost to enter the farm was $2 for adults - so cheap! I am already liking this place :) 

We spent the next 2 hours checking it all out. I think Mason enjoyed watching all the people rather than the animals but that is ok - his mommy & daddy had fun for him! 
I took him into the baby goat pen & he was fascinated by all the little goats coming up to us. I unfortunately didn't have any food for them so once they figured that out they quickly left us alone.

Next we made our way over to the cows & the calves & then made a pit-stop by the park for his first official turn on the swing. He wasn't quite sure what to think of it & kept trying to bounce up & down in it as if he was in his jumperoo.
After swinging we headed over to the other side of the farmstead where they had the duck pond, chickens, sheep, goats, pigs, another park & a huge sandbox. They had two of these baby goats to pet & feed & I thought they were SO cute:
We had such a good time with our little man & look forward to many future visits to this hidden little treasure in the middle of Overland Park!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

It sounds like a wonderful place! And Mason is just as cute as can be!!! =)