Monday, July 15

6 months old

Today Mason you are 6 months old & I find it hard to believe that it has been half a year since you were born! Another month has flown by & again I can't believe how fast the time is going. Everyone told me it would  - I just didn't realize how fast! Those first couple of months of your life are a blur - a distant memory - & as much as I love every new milestone you are making, I long for those days when you were just a few weeks old.

Your Daddy & I were walking out of the store today & a mom walked passed us with her newborn all snuggled in the Moby. We both looked at each other & commented on how we can hardly remember you being that tiny. You continue to amaze us with how big you are getting, all that you are learning & how you are becoming quite the handsome little boy!
Weight: As of last week, you weighed 18.5 lbs at the Dr's office. You have your official 6 mos appointment in a couple of weeks so we will get all your stats then. Not looking forward to another round of shots but am looking forward to seeing your height/weight & percentiles!

You are still wearing 6 mos clothing but they are slowly getting more & more snug :( I have a feeling that in another month we will be moving up to the 9 mos clothing. You continue to wear size 3 diapers & should be in those for awhile as they are still a tad too big on you.
Sleeping: You are still a great nap-taker! You continue to take a morning nap, a long early afternoon nap & another late afternoon nap! Our bedtime routine starts around 7pm consisting of a bath (every other night), story-time, a bottle then bed-time. I have gotten into the habit of laying in our bed with you & snuggling when it is time to go to sleep. I will rub your little back & you usually fall asleep within minutes. I love to lay there & watch you sleep long after you have drifted off. I then move you into your crib around 8pm & you will awake around 11pm because you have flipped over on your tummy - which you hate - & once I flip you back over you will fall right back to sleep once the paci is re-inserted. You awake again at 3am to be fed, then back to sleep & up for the day around 6:30am. I don't ever mind getting up with you at night & absolutely love our quiet time together. But with that said, I am secretly looking forward to you sleeping through the night & am envious of mommy friends who tell me their little ones sleep from 8p-5am!!

This picture pretty much sums up how you like to fall asleep. Talk about a major SIDS risk! You LOVE to pull your little blankie over your face & sleep that way. I of course remove it from you after you have drifted off but I don't doubt you would stay that way all night if I let you! You are definitely your daddy's child - he loves to sleep with the covers over his head also!
Eating: Looking at you people will say you are definitely a healthy eater! You are still being breast-fed, supplemented with formula & are eating 5oz at a time. I continue to pump at work & usually one last time before I go to bed but unfortunately my supply is decreasing so not sure how much longer I can keep this up. My goal was 6 months & I have reached that but I'm just not ready to give it up yet. So as long as I am still producing, I will keep on pumping.

This past month we introduced solids into your diet. You were a little hesitant at first but after the first week you were eating oatmeal cereal, veggies & fruits  like a champ. Sweet potatoes & bananas are your favorite - peas & peaches not so much! You tolerate pears & apples & make the cutest "pucker face" when eating them :) We start our morning with cereal + fruit & for supper it's cereal + veggies. Will start to introduce veggies + fruit at lunch-time in the next couple of weeks. You also are learning to drink water from a sippy cup! Unfortunately, most of it ends up down the front of your shirt rather than in our mouth :) Baby steps...
Milestones: I am amazed at how fast you are learning things compared to last month! You are definitely a little explorer! Your sensory & motor skills are developing as they should be for being 6 months so that is good.
- I would say you will be crawling by our next monthly update. Right now you are creeping forward & backwards on your tummy & sliding around while pushing against the floor. You will raise yourself up on your hands & almost on your knees & rock back & forth. I'd say the days of you just laying around are going to be short-lived.
- You are getting real close to being able to sit up unassisted. You get distracted while playing with toys or when you see mommy/daddy, will lose your balance & fall to the side but sitting up with the boppy you do really well. I am looking forward to when you can sit up 100% so that I don't have to keep hauling you in your cars-seat into the store. You are starting to get heavy!!
- You roll over from back to front like a champ but struggle to flip back over onto your back. This really makes you mad when you do it in your crib while sleeping.
- Pretty sure you are going to cut a tooth any day now! You have been drooling for 2 months now, have been quite a fussy little boy & gnaw on everything you can get your hands on.
- Your eyes have gone from a gray-blue color to a hazel or light brown color. Pretty sure you are going to have brown eyes like your mama!
- Playing with your feet fascinates you! Anytime you are laying on your back or sitting you reach for those little tootsies & try to stick them in your mouth.
- You like to help us hold your bottle when you are eating & can hold it with your own hands pretty well. Just another reminder of how big you are getting :(
- The sounds that come out of your mouth crack us up! Last week you started screaming for fun & do it ALL. THE. TIME!! Your daddy likes to imitate your scream & it makes you laugh. Next thing I know you are both squealing back & forth at each other which you both find amusing - your mommy not so much. You also think it is fun to blow raspberries - especially when you have a mouth full of food! Quite the little stinker you are :)
- You love to grab anything & everything you can get your little paws on & stuff it directly into your mouth - mom's food, Millie's ears, stuffed animals, the book I am reading to you, your blankie, my fingers - you name it. You love to pull your paci out of your mouth & are getting really good at putting it back in all by yourself too!

This past month we also celebrated some "firsts". You celebrated your first 4th of July:

You attended your first wedding:

You "rocked" your very first pair of sunglasses: 
It has been an awesome roller-coaster ride these past 6 months & we are looking SO very forward to the changes you will make & milestones you will conquer in the next 6 months! Just please try & not accomplish them too quickly!?

Happy 6 months little man! Mommy & Daddy love you oh so very much!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My little one is a few weeks older than yours and she got too heavy to tote in those carriers too! I have a buggy bagg brand shopping cart cover and HIGHLY recommend it!!! It's the only brand I've found that covers all shopping carts. Little ones can sit in it easily even when they have a hard time sitting up unassisted. :)