Monday, November 21

Productive sick day

So today I am at home sick :( Seems like the "crud" everyone at work has been sharing this past month has finally got me :( I have been fighting it for 3 days now & this morning I finally surrendered. I woke up feeling awful & after lots of hot tea with lemon, ibuprofen & some cough syrup I'm not feeling too bad. So since I am at home by myself with nothing to do I decided to turn the Christmas music up loud & do some cooking & baking.

A co-worker of mine is battling lymphoma & her 4th round of chemo is coming up & she is starting to not feel all that great. So a group of us at work formed "Linda's Helping Hands" & are going to be making meals for her & her kids to eat while she is not feeling well. It is my turn this week so since I am home today, I thought I would make her meals. Here is what I am making & freezing for her:


1) Chicken Potpie

2) Chicken Noodle Soup

3) Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
4) Chocolate Chip cookies
5) Cupcakes (for my work peeps tomorrow :)


I have shared with you all the potpie recipe which I hope you have tried because it is some good comfort-food! My chicken noodle soup recipe is from the Food Network & can be found here. I kind of cheat though. Instead of making my own chicken stock I just buy a rotisserie chicken, cut it up & use good ol' Swanson's chicken broth. I've made it both ways & like the "short-cut" route better - for taste & time. I also put extra carrots, celery & chicken in it since Shane & I both like a "chunkier" soup.

Now for the biscuits - oh my!

Walk - no, RUN to your nearest grocery store & b
uy the ingredients for these bad boys NOW! You like the Red Lobster biscuits? Well now you will have the recipe to make these delicious, buttery morsels any time you want. You can thank me later :)

Red Lobster Biscuits

Biscuits:
2 1/2 cups Bisquick
4 T cold butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Butter Glaze:
3 T butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp dried parsley flakes

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease or line one cookie sheet with parchment paper (which is what HT prefers when baking on a cookie sheet); set aside.

Combine Bisquick with cold butter in a medium bowl using a pastry cutter (or just use a fork). Don't worry about mixing too thoroughly; there will be small chunks of butter in the mix about the size of peas. Add cheddar cheese, milk, & garlic powder. Mix by hand until combined, but don't over mix. Use a spatula to get excess dough off your hand.

Drop 1/4 cup portions of the dough onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes in preheated oven until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn light brown. Halfway through baking make sure to turn cookie sheet around - gives more of an even baking.

While biscuits are baking, melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in garlic powder & dried parsley flakes. Once the biscuits are done baking, use a brush to spread the garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Sprinkle a little salt on the freshly coated biscuits. Makes one dozen.

* Don't have any Bisquick in the house? You can make a "homemade" version found here.

You are welcome :)

No comments: