Sunday, May 29

Sprouts

I love Brussels sprouts. My husband - not so much. So I am always looking for ways to spruce them up so my hubby will eat them. I usually steam fresh Brussels sprouts then spritz with butter & add a little salt/pepper to taste. I have also roasted them with onions & red peppers & they were dee-lish. So imagine my excitement when I found the recipe for this tasty appetizer...

Those would be bacon-wrapped Brussels sprouts with a creamy mustard dipping sauce. Looks good doesn't it? I can vouch for their yumminess personally. I made these for our cul-de-sac get-together last night & unfortunately got called in to work before I could put them in the oven. So I put them in the frig & the hubby & I snacked on them for lunch the next day. I had also made Bacon-wrapped shrimp w/pineapple which was very good. I baked these in the oven also rather than cooking in a skillet so I could get the bacon crispy & they turned out great!

Here is the recipe for anyone who is tempted...

Bacon-Wrapped Brussels Sprouts

Preheat oven to 400°. Microwave 10 bacon slices, in batches, between paper towels, at HIGH for 1 1⁄2 minutes. Cut slices in half crosswise. Cut 10 Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise. Drizzle under-sides of Brussels sprouts with low sodium soy sauce. Wrap 1 bacon piece around each Brussels sprout half; secure with a wooden pick. Place sprouts, cut sides down, on a lightly greased wire rack on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Bake at 400° for 20 - 25 minutes or until bacon is crisp & Brussels sprouts are tender. Serve with Creamy Mustard Sauce, if desired. Makes about 6 to 8 appetizer servings.

Creamy Mustard Sauce:
Stir together 1⁄2 cup sour cream, 2 tsp. whole grain mustard, 1 tsp. brown sugar, salt & pepper to taste in a bowl. Makes 1⁄2 cup.

*I would NOT suggest using turkey bacon or thick-sliced bacon.

Enjoy...

No comments: