Today the hubby & I are celebrating seven years of marriage! It just doesn't seem possible that 7 years have already passed us by. We have definitley had our share of ups & downs this year & have dealt with things I wish no other couple would have to face. We definitely enjoyed all the "ups" & managed to work through all the "downs" which brought us even closer together & for that I am so very thankful. I couldn't have asked for a more loving or supportive husband!So with 7 years of wisdom behind me, I thought I might list some of things I think are important in a marriage. It seems to have worked for us thus far!?
10 Things I've Learned in 7 years
(in no particular order)
1) Marriage is never 50%/50%. It’s both people giving 101% & it requires a lot of "give & take", sacrifice, compromise & negotiating.
2) Marriage is about acceptance. To accept each other regardless of who or where that person is in life is an act of love. Each person will have strengths & weaknesses that they bring to the marriage. Definitely try to encourage the strengths & learn to accept the weaknesses.
3) Forgiveness is crucial. Just saying the words “I forgive you” isn’t enough. When you are able to release your spouse from the punishment of their wrongdoings is truly forgiveness. And if you’re not sure if you have truly forgiven your spouse, then try asking yourself this: Am I still bitter? If the answer is yes then you may have some work to do within thyself. Shane isn’t perfect & as much as I think I am perfect...I am not. Shocking, I know :)
4) Be totally honest with one another. When you aren't honest with your spouse it is a recipe for disaster. There should also be no secrets. Honesty is the key to trust. When you aren't honest with one another then there can be no trust.
5) Be sensitive. We both have different pasts & perspectives & what may be no big deal to me, just may be a big deal to Shane. I have learned to recognize that & have learned to be more sensitive to his thoughts & needs.
6) Work together as a team. I have learned that it is much easier to get something accomplished with Shane when I am not nagging or bickering with him. Sometimes you just have to keep your thoughts to yourself & "play" nice to get something done together.
7) Communication. No communication = a lonely marriage. Talk about things that matter to the both of you. However, I think I sometimes irritate Shane with my excessive talking & too much communication :)
8) Laughter. I think this is why we remain strong. Shane makes me laugh every single day. We laugh at each other, at ourselves & are always joking around with each other all the time. Laughter is the gift that keeps us grounded.
9) Sacrifice. You both must be willing to sacrifice some things in a marriage. That is definitely where the "give & take" comes into play.
10) You need your own life. We are always encouraging each other to pursue activities, hobbies & friendships outside of the home. It doesn’t really matter what it is — as long as it gives your life additional meaning & purpose & it’s something you enjoy doing. I love that I am able to enjoy my "girl-time" whenever I want & Shane loves that he can ride his Harley whenever he wants. We enjoy doing lots of things together but also are able to enjoy doing things apart.
And the #1 lesson I think Shane has learned: HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE :)
Now I am no "marriage-expert" by any means, but this is what seems to work for us & so far it has been pretty great! Thank you Shane for a fun, exciting, entertaining & never-boring 7 years! I am looking forward to sharing many, many more wonderful years with you!
Love,
your wifey :)
No comments:
Post a Comment