Tuesday, August 11

To tip or not to tip...

I was having an interesting conversation today with my co-workers which made me curious as to everyone elses opinions. The topic was tipping the carhops at Sonic when they bring your food to your car.
Has anyone reading this blog ever heard of this? Or even does this? Apparently there were 4 out of 6 of us at work today who said they ALWAYS tip at Sonic. I for one have never tipped there nor had I ever heard of tipping the kids at Sonic.

I got a bit vocal during the conversation as I brought up the question "why do I have to tip someone for doing their job?" Oh my - there were all kinds of arguements brought to the table. We went round and round and I ended up ending the conversation by saying "nobody tips me to save their life and I am just doing my job...even at 2am!"
So I'm curious to know - how many of you tip your carhop at Sonic? I promise I won't say a word if you do:)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tip the carhops. NOt much usually just a dollar or two. I tip valets as well. You could kind of have the same argument. LOve you :) Michelle

Melissa said...

Depends on how I pay if I tip or not...if I pay by credit card then I don't. If I pay by cash and they have to deal with change while also balancing my food and all then I tip.

But, I was also once a carhop at a sonic in Wichita in the scary part of town (east 21st street)...I was only paid hourly $2.13 (waitress pay) at the time plus my tips. I also only worked the lunchtime which this crowd was good at tipping. At night was a pizza hut waitress and also only made waitress wages hourly relying on my tips to help get me by.

Nickie said...

I am loving this post because I have always tipped....like Michelle, just a dollar. I won't go there if I don't have cash to tip (because you can't put it on the card). But then I heard they make more then waitresses and I shouldn't.....
I gotta know what the norm is. so glad you posted this!!!

Anonymous said...

I am like Melissa, if I pay with credit card, no tip, if I pay with cash, I let them keep the change. More of a convenience factor on if I tip or not....I was a waitress for like a second in high school and it sucked so bad that I generally like to tip....

Michelle O.

Heather said...

Wow - great responses! Looks like I am outnumbered - I better start tipping those carhops. After all the talk, I would feel guilty now if I didn't :)

Cori said...

My name is Cori and I am a former carhop. Circa 1993. Hideous job. Maybe the worst job that I've ever had. Would not have done it except for the tips. I made minimum wage, not waitress wage. Most people did not tip, but several would let you "keep the change". I averaged about $5 an hour in tips, and that was enough to keep my 19 year old self happy.
Now, having said, I will not tip if they don't smile and greet me. Rude carhops piss me off.

Keri said...

I will let them keep the change if I pay in cash, which is very rare since I usually use my debit card. There is one girl at our Sonic that I think is very nice and I will often tip her if she brings us our stuff. By the way, the carhop of the infamous "corn dog" incident, keep the change without asking. Nice...