Saturday, August 22

Little Bunny FuFu

Today I spent the afternoon outside pulling weeds in all the flower beds around the house, trimming overgrown bushes and shrubs and enjoying listening to Kenny Chesney while being out in the beautiful 70 degree weather.

As I was pulling weeds in the flower bed in the backyard, I made a scary discovery....or so I thought it was scary. I bent down and went to grab a huge clump of weeds when I heard this loud "squeal" and a little fluff of gray bolted out from under me and under the fence. I literally screamed out loud, lost my balance and about peed my pants. Once I got back up and calmed down I looked on the other side of the fence to see what the heck that was and I discover the cutest little bunny I ever did see. I must have accidentally grabbed him when I grabbed the weeds!? Then I remembered what Shane had told me yesterday.
While he was weed-eating against the fence he said he about hit two little bunnies and had seen them hop off into the flower bed. Totally forgot about it until now. So I spent the next 10 minutes looking for more bunnies and I ended up finding 2 more. You could barely see them all nestled in the grass but there they were - cutest things ever:
Bunny #1:

Bunny #2:

I was amazed that they stayed there the entire time watching me pull weeds and didn't move. I started to feel guilty for destroying their "hiding place" so I left a patch of tall weeds/grass behind the electric box for them to hide in. Hopefully they do ok!?!

I also discovered this not-so-pleasant insect in the same flower bed:

That would be a wolf spider with a huge sac of spider babies on her back. I still get goosebumps just looking at the picture. This spider had a leg-span the size of a half-dollar - it was HUGE! I ran and got the can of Raid Wasp killer and doused the heck out of the spider hoping it would die. After it put up a fight, the mama spider finally gave in. I hope all those babies in the sac are going to die also! It said on google that the wolf spider can have up to 600 spiderlings in that little sac - that is crazy!

Needless to say, after all my "discoveries" the beds, bushes & shrubs look great! I also managed to get a nice litte tan - sweet :)

1 comment:

Keri said...

We have bunnies living under our patio. I named them the Robinsons! Yes, I am a nerd.