Friday, May 9

Farewell

One of my favorite Cardiologist's is leaving the hospital I work at & heading to Dallas, TX for a job opportunity that was too good to turn down. Tonight we had his "surprise" farewell party at the Grand Street Cafe on the Plaza & it was a lot of fun.

The theme was "country/western" since Dr. Steve Marso is a lover of country music & cowboy boots. So I did my best to dress the part. Thank you to my friend Jilly for loaning me her cowgirl boots & my neighbor Susie for the kick-ass western belt!

I had picked up my dear friend Leann at her house & we made our way to the party:
Leann is a co-worker of mine whom I have gotten alot closer to lately. She is pregnant with her first child & I have been her "go-to" person ever since she found out she was expecting. My sister was my person, I was that person for my dear friend Jen & now I get to be Leann's person. I just love being able to pay it forward & help a sista out - especially when it comes to pregnancy & babies :)

Steve had no idea we were all there waiting for him so when he walked through the door he was in total shock. It was a perfectly planned surprise by this guy:
Dr. Steve Laster - who proceeded to sit Steve down & then the "roasting" began. If you have ever seen a celebrity roast done on Comedy Central then you have an idea of what we did to our dear Doctor. Several of us took turns "roasting" Steve, sharing funny stories & embarassing him to the crowd & there were SO many laughs & even a few tears.
 
Steve is part of a group that we like to call the "trifecta". Basically when these 3 Cardiologist's are scheduled in the lab together it is sure to be a sh!tty day full of chaos, craziness & a late night. Sad that he will no longer be part of this little group :(
After the roasting festivities were done, we all enjoyed cake & Steve opened several of his gifts. He has always been a whiner in the lab & could be a real baby at times so when he opened this gift it was priceless:
It says "In case of emergency break glass" & there is a pacifier in the middle of it. It was hilarious & you can tell by the picture he was not amused :)
 
Steve & I started working at the hospital the same month & year - June 1999 & after soon realizing that we both were from South Dakota & grew up 1 hour from each other we formed a quick bond. He loves country music as do I & it would make people bitter when we worked together & always had country music playing. We went to the Kenny Chesney concert together - along with our spouses & had a great time. He became a good friend these past 15 years, was very supportive & a listening ear during my IF journey & my numerous losses. He always refers to me as HT & the lab often jokes that I am his "binkie" as he was always a calm, nice person when we worked together in the lab. Steve is a well known Cardiologist for all the research he has done, a wonderful man, husband, father & friend. Steve may not be missed by everyone but he will definitely be missed by me.

Farewell Steve Marso.

No comments: