As much as my husband would like to disagree, I am not a huge shopper. I usually only go "shopping" when I want/need something & rarely will I shop just to browse around the store. I am a girl on the go usually with a list or two in my hand so I don't have time to waste wandering the mall or a department store just casually shopping with no goal in mind.
With that said, Black Friday shopping does not appeal to me & I really don't understand what all the hype is about. I have several girlfriends who live for this day, love every minute of it & have asked me several times to join them but I always decline. I just have no desire to a) lose any of my precious sleep b) stand in line out in the cold in the middle of night c) sit & drive in the crazy KC traffic or d) have anything on my list that is so urgently needed where I will save enough money to warrant doing the 1st three things for.
Now don't get me wrong, I did manage to try it once - around 10 years ago. I woke up at 4am to be in line at Target for when the doors opened at 5am to buy a camera that I really wanted that was marked down to some crazy price. When the doors opened, I about got trampled to death & once I finally made my way over to the electronics - which for some reason is always in the back of the store - there was only 2 cameras left & 3 of us crazy women fighting as to who got there first & who was going to get the last 2 cameras.
After much aggression, pleading & saying a few obscenities I managed to get one of the cameras. Then I had to wait over an hour in line to pay for my $99 camera. When it was all said & done it was almost 7am & I said "to hell with this", drove home & went back to bed. I swore I would never attempt Black Friday shopping ever again.
Now I know today the rules are different. Stores are starting to open the evening of Thanksgiving - which I don't agree with. Stores have a system in place so the items are easier to locate, get & pay for & from what I hear doesn't seem so chaotic as it was 10 years ago. But with all that said, I still can't bring myself to get out with my girlfriends & participate in this annual event.
With that said, being an anti-Black Friday shopper, I did however manage to score a few excellent deals myself while at work.
From the luxury of my work computer :)
I ended up ordering my nursery furniture set, recliner/rocker as well as my crib bedding online & much to my surprise it all ended up being on sale for the day of Black Friday only.
I also got free shipping/delivery, as well as an additional 20% off the furniture for using my JCPenny's credit card & $120 off the crib bedding. So what would have normally cost me almost $1700 I ended up paying around $1000 for a crib, 2 dressers, a recliner/rocker & crib bedding! I may or may not have done a little happy dance right in front of my co-workers!
And amazingly enough I didn't have to get up early, stand in any lines, fist fight with other shoppers, drive in traffic or lose any sleep!
Now if you ask me, that is my kind of Black Friday shopping!!

No comments:
Post a Comment