Monday, October 15

24 weeks

Today I am 24 weeks….Viability Day!   

Viability Day means that if Baby T were to be born today he'd have over a 50% chance of survival. Hopefully he doesn't get any wise ideas & stays cooking for the next 15-16 weeks so he can be strong & healthy when he is born. Luckily my 20 week ultrasound showed no cervical thinning - which is a sign of pre-term labor - so hoping the scan on Wednesday shows the same thing!


How far along? 24 weeks (baby is around 12 inches long & weighs almost 1.5 lbs)

Symptoms: Been feeling pretty good - don't really have any complaints!

Weight gain/loss: I didn't get a chance to weigh in today so going to say I still have gained a total of 13 lbs gained so far.


Maternity clothes? yes - shirts & pants whenever I can. My scrubs at work are getting a little snug so I'm sure after this week I will need to go up a size.

Sleep: Been able to fall asleep easily & stay asleep with no trouble - up until 4am, of course!


Food cravings/aversions: no real cravings or aversions this week! Still enjoying lots of cheese!

Movement? yes, Baby T is kicking & moving all over the place - especially in the evenings!

What I miss? jumping up out of the recliner or the bed with ease. This belly bump is starting to get big!!

Best moment(s) this week: reaching "V-Day" (viability day)

What I'm looking forward to: my annual trip to Holiday Mart this Sunday with some girlfriends

Next Appointment: Wed, October 17th - growth ultrasound. Get to see Baby T again - yay :)

Milestones:
The top of my uterus has risen above my belly button & is now about the size of a soccer ball - hard to imagine!! Baby T is pretty lean at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally & he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, & his taste buds are continuing to develop. The lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant - a substance that will help the air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. The skin is still thin & translucent, but that will start to change soon also.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a great milestone to reach!! Love love love reading these updates and can't help but smile at this amazing blessing!!Glad you're feeling good! Second tri is the best!