Today I am headed to the University of Kansas campus (home of our beloved Jayhawks) to help volunteer at the St. Lukes Heart Clinic for all the incoming freshmen & transfer student athletes. Every athlete that plays for KU gets an overall heart & health assessment by our Cardiologists - many of whom I work side by side with everyday.
At this clinic we take blood pressures, do EKG's, Echocardiograms, take their weight/BMI measurements & then a wellness interview of their overall health is done by the Cardiologist using the results of all the screenings we did for the day.
These two awesome co-workers of mine assisted me today with blood pressures & EKG's. We had SO much fun meeting the athletes, talking with them about what sport they played, what they wanted to major in, where they were from & all hanging out together. They were a group of pretty awesome kids & those southern ones were quite respectful as they kept calling me Ma'am. Talk about feeling old - especially since I was old enough to be these kids mother. Yikes!
After the day was done, we ended up seeing almost 100 students in 6 hours time & you know what was the best part? We got paid for having fun, hanging out together at our favorite college campus & meeting students from all over the US! Can't wait to get to participate at another heart clinic in the future! Maybe I will be lucky enough to get to do the football & basketball team in the fall?!?
No comments:
Post a Comment