Sunday, May 15

Strawberry Picking

It is May & around here that means that the strawberry farms are open & ready for picking!! We made our way down to Gieringer's Orchard & Berry Farm today to pick some strawberries & had the BEST time!
 
We had never been to this farm before so we were unsure what to do but quickly figured it out! We were handed a cardboard tray, instructed how to pick the strawberries off the plants, were escorted to a row & told "happy picking"!

After a few minutes had passed, these two were pros & our tray started to fill up quickly!
 

 

 My boys doing a little "taste-testing"
 
After about an hour of strawberry-picking we had a full tray & made our way to the check-out booth.

They weighed our tray & we ended up having over 11 lbs of yummy, red goodness! I was so excited to get home & start making some goods with all our berries!
Once we arrived home, I washed all the strawberries & got to work. I ended up making 12 jars of strawberry jam & some Strawberry Crisp for dessert after supper - YUM!

Even after making all that, we had about 4 lbs of strawberries leftover which didn't take long to eat up. I had plans to go back to pick more berries so I could make more jam but sadly we never did get back & then the strawberry picking season was over. They have blackberries available to pick but unfortunately, I am not a fan of blackberries. In the fall they have peaches so we may head back & pick some of those.

We had so much fun picking strawberries for the first time & can't wait until next year to come back & pick more!

No comments: