Friday, August 30

Colorado...Day 1

Today we were all up & at 'em early as we made our way to the airport for a weekend get-away to Colorado. This was Mason's 1st vacation & 1st time flying so I was a bit nervous on how he would be on the flight as well as during our trip away from the comfort's of our own home. 

We left the house at 5am & managed to get to the airport, park & unload the car, get shuttled to the terminal, get checked-in, go through security with all Mason's stuff, barely made it to the gate with no time to spare as they were boarding passengers & when it was our turn to board the plane the attendant asked for Mason's boarding pass. 

Wait, what? Boarding pass? For a child who is sitting on my lap? 

No one had told or asked us about a boarding pass. When I first booked these flights online I had checked the little box that one infant would be traveling on my lap & there was nothing else for me to fill out so I thought nothing of it. One would think they would have said something when we checked in while they saw me holding Mason, OR at least when they checked our documents through the security line when I was again holding him?? Uh, NO! 

So as we are about to get on the plane they inform us we need to go to the ticket counter & get a boarding pass printed for Mason. We were already late to the gate so I was annoyed & worried we would be last to board & not be able to sit all together. So we get out of line, haul everything over to the counter & they ask me for paperwork with proof of Mason's birthdate on it. 

What? Oh wait, I have it right here...let me just pull it out of my ass for you. 

LOL - I didn't really say that but I sure wanted to! No one mentioned to me that I would need this documentation so NO I didn't have his birth certificate on me or anything else for that matter with his DOB. The only thing I had with me with his name on it was our insurance card. 

So after much pleading & begging they let it slide, entered his info into the computer all the while telling me about FAA regulations & how they could lose their job over this & good luck coming back home through Denver without this info, blah blah blah. I said I would worry about it later but for now we have a flight to catch. Thank you & goodbye. 

We finally were able to get on the plane & after I was cursing Southwest Airlines for the last 20 minutes of drama we just went through, we were told the flight attendant was holding a row for us so we could all sit together. So I ended up feeling bad for cursing them & thanked the attendant 10 different times. We all got comfy in our row & were off - our first vacation as a family of 3 :) 

We arrived at the Denver airport at 8am, picked up our luggage & made our way to the car rental place. Mason had done awesome as our little traveler so far & I was amazed he was doing so well. We rented our car, got loaded up & decided to stop at Shane's parents house for a few hours before we made our way up to Estes Park. They live 15 minutes from the airport so it was nice to stop in, relax a bit, feed Mason & let him take a nap. 

By lunchtime we were on our way to our destination & enjoyed the 2 hour car ride driving through the Rocky Mountains up to Estes Park. 
 We're not in Kansas anymore!
We stayed at the cutest little place called the Appenzell Inn which reminded me of a hotel one might find in the Swiss Alps. 
 Our room was on the very end far left. This was the view from our patio:
Absolutely beautiful! The rooms were studio-apartment-like which included a king bed, living room, fireplace, jacuzzi tub & a small kitchen. We will definitely be coming back & staying at this cute little Inn again! 

My "Elite" girlfriends & their husbands had all made the trip to CO also for our friend Deb's wedding & half of our group stayed here. Right next to our room were these 2 beautiful girls along with Jen's husband:
 JenJen & Miss Ava 

We spent the evening getting settled into our room & then later headed over to our friend Camille & Ray's room where everyone had gathered for cocktails & munched on some of Camille's awesome & famous chips & salsa

We ended up turning in early as it had been a LONG day for us while the rest of the group met the bride & groom-2-be at a local bar for more cocktails. From what I understand, we missed one heck of a karaoke show!!

No comments: