Wednesday, July 25

Worst night ever...



Our house is 8 1/2 years old. So is our AC unit. With day #58 - or what feels like it - of over 100 degree temps Shane & I have been waiting every single day for our AC unit to stop working. Half of the neighbors in our cul-de-sac have replaced their units already so we are definitely next. 

It was a normal evening here at the Taylor household. I got home from work, let the dogs out, fed them, made dinner & then Shane & I settled in for the evening in front of the TV. Around 7pm I notice the bulldogs were starting to pant & it was starting to feel pretty warm in the house. I went up to check the thermostat & it read 84 degrees....which is usually set at 76 degrees. I put my hand over the vent & felt NO cool air. In fact there wasn't any air coming out of the vent.

Son of a biscuit!! The AC had finally gone out :(

We knew this time would come but it never makes it any easier when it does. We quickly made arrangements to leave the house for the evening as there is no way the bulldogs would have been able to be in such a hot house for the night - darn bullies - they run our life :)

We were going to stay at a hotel but luckily for us, my girlfriend Jilly was out of town this week & she offered her home to us until our AC could get fixed. So we packed an overnight bag, loaded the dogs in the SUV & made our way over to Jilly's for the evening. By the time we left our house the thermostat was reading 85 degrees so it felt SO nice to be back in some air conditioning!! 

Unfortunately, the evening was anything but restful for me. We ended up going to bed early & while Neo was all curled up under Jilly's bed asleep, the bulldogs were crazed & panicky being in a new place & would NOT settle down. Shane of course had his ear plugs in, the fan blowing on him & was snoring away so he heard nothing that was going on! Typical...

It was about 10pm by the time the dogs had calmed down a bit & just as I was dozing off to sleep my pager goes off. UGH!!! I quickly get dressed & go to put on my glasses & they weren't in my case. My contacts were in the cleaning solution that takes 6 hours to neutralize so I couldn't put those back in so I was screwed. I have pretty bad vision & everything is blurry without my contacts/glasses so I began to panic. How would I drive 35 miles to the hospital at night without clear eyesight?  By this point I was exhausted, pissed, stressed - I threw my glass case & started crying. Can my night get any worse??

I managed to make my way to the emergency case - very carefully & on the way back home it started to downpour. Not only can I not see well already, throw pouring-down rain at me & make my drive all that much more stressful. Ugh - why me?? I ended up making it back to Jilly's around 1am.

I crawl back into bed - Shane still sleeping away - & the bullies are restless. Panting, pacing, whining.

All. Night. Long.

It's lightening, thundering, raining out & the bullies are not happy. I got absolutely NO sleep. All I kept thinking is that we could have a couple more nights like this & I didn't think I could handle another repeat like this again.

Shane woke up at 6am all rested & ready to go while I laid there desperate to sleep. He put the dogs in the bed with me & they immediately settled down & fell asleep. He left for our house to get ready for work & we all managed to get a couple hours of sleep. Around 8am I got up & then headed home to meet the AC service guy. He arrived right on time, spent 15 minutes working on our unit & came back in to say he was all done. 

What? That quick? Ugh - this can't be good news. I imagined he was going to tell me our AC unit was done & we would need a new unit. But surprisingly he said there was a bad capacitor in the heat pump that he had to replace & everything seems to be in working order. Hallelujah!!!! What we thought was going to cost thousand's of dollars only cost us $175. Unfortunately, I had to burn a day off of work but oh well...at least we didn't have to buy a new AC unit!!

I left shortly after the AC guy left to go get the dogs & already the house was starting to cool off. What a relief. We all got back home & while the dogs got settled in & relaxed, I laid down for a little nap & ended up sleeping for over 3 hours. I was just soooo tired & it felt good to catch up on some sleep...in a cool house....in my own bed!

Unfortunately, this little dilema we had only delay's the inevitable.I almost wish we would have had to get a new AC unit just so we don't have to worry about in the future & according to the weather guy, the month of August is going to be just as hot or even hotter!!

For those of you who are local, we used Air-Pro out of Olathe to service our unit. My friend Jilly actually dated the owner for a couple of years so he treats us & anyone I refer to them pretty good! Just click on "Air Pro" & it will take you to their website.

Hoping you never have to use them but if so, tell them we referred you :)

No comments: