
That's right. It's National Auntie Day!!! WHOOT!!!
No lie - just last week, I looked at one of my girlfriends & said, "I wonder why there isn't an Auntie Day?" They seem to celebrate all kinds of other "Day's" like Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day so why not a day to celebrate these special women in nieces & nephews lives?
Well guess what?? There is.
I need to send an email to my sister, husband & my mom telling them that one of them can go ahead & buy me the Savvy Auntie book for my Auntie Day present. I'm sure they will all be running out the door to get it for me ASAP. There is even a website for cool, savvy Aunt's like myself. Who knew??
(crickets)
But in all honesty, I'm so excited to find this site. I LOVE being an aunt. I constantly show people pictures of my nieces & nephews. My friends hear all about them. My bosses & coworkers hear all about them. I find myself wanting to buy them stuff when it isn't even their birthday or Christmas. Even though I don't get to see them very often, they are often on my mind. A ran into a girlfriend I hadn't seen or talked with for several months & one of the first things she asked about were how my nieces/nephews were doing. She get's it....
So I admit it. I may or may not brag a little about my sweet punkin's. I know I'm "just an auntie", but that phrase has taken on a much greater meaning since my very first nephew was born over 4 years ago. That is the day I became a Debut-Aunt (the Savvy Auntie term for a first-time auntie)!
I need to send an email to my sister, husband & my mom telling them that one of them can go ahead & buy me the Savvy Auntie book for my Auntie Day present. I'm sure they will all be running out the door to get it for me ASAP. There is even a website for cool, savvy Aunt's like myself. Who knew??
(crickets)
But in all honesty, I'm so excited to find this site. I LOVE being an aunt. I constantly show people pictures of my nieces & nephews. My friends hear all about them. My bosses & coworkers hear all about them. I find myself wanting to buy them stuff when it isn't even their birthday or Christmas. Even though I don't get to see them very often, they are often on my mind. A ran into a girlfriend I hadn't seen or talked with for several months & one of the first things she asked about were how my nieces/nephews were doing. She get's it....
So I admit it. I may or may not brag a little about my sweet punkin's. I know I'm "just an auntie", but that phrase has taken on a much greater meaning since my very first nephew was born over 4 years ago. That is the day I became a Debut-Aunt (the Savvy Auntie term for a first-time auntie)!
To all of you who are mommies, think about the special women in your life who serve as aunties & tell them they are loved.
According to the Savvy Auntie site, aunties can be:"Aunties by Relation; Aunties by Choice; Great-Aunties; Godmothers; Cousin Aunties; Long-Distance Aunties; Step-Aunties; Single Aunties; Married Aunties; Par-Aunts (aunts who become the parent when one or both parents are no longer able); Straight Aunts, Lesbi-Aunts; Teen Aunties; Child Aunties; Special-Needs Aunties; Teacher or Coach Aunties; Nanny Aunties; & Fairy God Aunties."
Damn, we are everywhere!! What a diverse group of positive influences for America's children!
Please give the Auntie in your life a little love today. Unfortunately I will be all alone so I guess I will just have to treat myself on this awesome day. Maybe I can get a special Skype date with my little punkin's?
From one savvy Aunt to another.....we rock!
No comments:
Post a Comment