Sunday, January 9

Makeover

So earlier in the week I was inspired by a few girlfriends & started thinking about the rooms in our home & what I wanted to do differently with them. We have lived in this house for 7 years now & it is time for a change. Unfortunately that change doesn't come cheap so I have been doing a lot of research online how to design your home on a budget.

My sister sent me a fabulous DIY blog that has been really helpful with some ideas & my friend Desiree is also very inspiring with all her lovely ideas for her babies nursery. So now my creative juices are a flowin' & I have gone around the house & made a list of what I want to re-do.

First thing - change the paint color in our bedroom. At first the teal walls with chocolate accents was fun but now it makes me want to grab something sharp & stab it in my eye. I spend alot of time in our bedroom (watching TV, reading, getting ready) & the color in there makes me feel stressed. I am going to keep the chocolate accents (curtains/sconces/photos) & burnt orange color in the master bathroom & am thinking of a warm buttercream color for the bedroom. I am also going to try & attempt a stencil design on the wall that our bed is up against. Ideas found here: KFD Design

Shane doesn't know it yet but I am going to switch out the bedroom sets also. As much as I would love a new bedroom set, they are expensive & we have 2 perfectly good sets already. The one in our master BR is pine which was Shane's set before we got married. It is a nice set but I don't care for the light color of wood. The set in the guest BR was mine & is a cherry wood. Dark wood/warm colors are more my taste so we will see who wins out on this battle :)

2) We need new carpet throughout the house. This is going to be a huge expense & one you hate to spend a few thousand dollars on but it needs to be done. I already have an idea of colors so that shouldn't be hard. Getting Shane to agree with me will be the challenge!

3) Organize our basement, finish the walls/ceiling & move the computer/desk down there. I also want to put the dogs kennels down there & make it cozy for them so I can put them there when we are gone or have company.

4) Repaint the family room & hang some new photos on the wall. Got a few ideas from here. 5) Organize closets, drawers, shelves & get rid of all the "junk" we have been accumulating for the last 7 years. Unfortunately I will have to do this solo when Shane isn't looking. He is a "pack rat" & saves EVERYTHING!!!

6) Give my laundry room a makeover & make the small space more user-friendly. I talked about doing this idea in the past & would still like to do it!

Then there are the 25 other little things that need to be done around the house so I am hoping to get a majority of the list knocked out during the winter months & not spend too much money. I will try & post pics as I go.

Thanks ladies for the inspiration! Home Depot thanks you as well :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Didn't know sending my link to that blog would start a whole year of home design. It is addicting isn't it looking at all those cool things they have done on their blogs?

Desiree said...

I cannot WAIT to see what you do! Remember, lots and lots of pictures! If your decorating turns out to be anything like your cooking, it's going to be fabulous!

And we totally got one of those pictures spelling out the baby's name when we were in Key West! It's really pretty and I'm going to do a photo collage with that picture in the center.