Saturday, July 4

Independence Day

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

Independence Day
: a federal holiday that commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britian.


What does that mean to you? To most of us it means a much-needed day off of work. To others it means a day spent with family eating good food and letting off some fireworks or maybe it marks the date of someones birthday or anniversary? But to most of us US citizens it means freedom.

When I sat and actually thought about what freedom meant to me, here is what I came up with:

To me, freedom is being able to step outside of my home and know radical groups are not going to blow me up or gun me down.
It means I don't have to hide my face as a woman, worry about getting my privates mutilated, sell myself for a bowl of food or money, or dig in a dumpster for a scrap of clothing. I have the right to own a business, run it with the full benefits as a man. I can vote or not vote and not fear getting shot at for it either. I can have an abortion or not, depending on what is right for ME. I can speak about anything I wish to speak about and have no fear of retribution with anything but words. No one tells me how many children I can have. No one tells me if my child is a boy he can live, but if it is a girl she must die. I am allowed to own my own home and/or business, work where I wish, get an education, worship the God of my choice in the way that I choose, and in the church to my liking, or not at all, if I so desire. I am free to travel, or to stay at home. No one puts up walls to keep me contained within any boundaries. I am free to live in the location of my choice, but I am also free to move from state to state with no restrictions, if that is what I choose.

Freedom is just that - being free of restraints imposed by others. Free to speak, free to choose religion and free to act.
Let us be thankful today and everyday of these "freedoms" that we all have been blessed with!

Have a wonderful 4th of July everyone :)

No comments: