I can't believe the time has finally come. Hopefully by this time tomorrow we will be meeting our son. I am so full of emotions right now but am trying to embrace every minute up until our little boy's arrival.
I am going to write down all the events leading up to Baby T's arrival just so I have a record of it & I don't forget anything. Hence the "informality" of this post - it is more for our keepsake but wanted to share our experience with you all ;)
- We were admitted at 8:30pm & the next hour involved going over paperwork, getting an IV, getting hooked up to the monitors, going over my "do's & don't's" for the next 12 hours & lastly inserting the Cervidil to get my labor "jump-started". The nurse did an internal exam right before she inserted the medicine & I was bummed to hear that I was 0% effaced & 0 cm dilated - however she said my cervix was very soft so things were beginning to "progress somewhat" down there - not at all what I had wanted to hear. The Cervidil was to stay in for 10 hours & they were going to remove it by 6am & see where I was at. Spent lots of time praying to the "cervix dilating" God's to pretty please make some sort of magic happen down there by morning!
Monday - Jan 28th, 2013
- I slept pretty good up until around 4am where I ended up having a lot of cramping & contractions so I was praying that things were starting to work. If not we would have to start with fresh Cervidil & wait another 10 hours. The nurse checked me again & I was thrilled to hear that I was 90% effaced & 3 cm dilated - whoop whoop! If I could have gotten out of bed I would have done a happy dance! Soon after, she started the Pitocin drip & my contractions were off to a good start. I managed to spend the next 4 hours breathing & getting through them the best I could.
By 11am, the contractions were getting pretty strong & a little more difficult to manage. In 4 hours I had only gone from 3 to 5 cm & I was starting to imagine a horribly long labor & I think panic kind of set in. As tough & strong as I wanted to be through it all, I ended up caving & asked for the epidural. I just didn't think mentally or physically I could go all day without the relief.
The CRNA came up shortly after my request & inserted the epidural which to my surprise didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Until I felt this horrible "zinging" several times down my right leg as he adjusted the catheter. I uncontrollably kicked poor Shane who was trying to comfort me & then as quick as it began it was all done. I started to relax after my legs went numb & was relieved to know it would be smooth-sailing from here on out. That is until an hour later when I could STILL feel my contractions - which were getting more & more intense. It was now around noon & I was at 6cm. After much discussion with my nurse & Shane, I had decided to go ahead & ask another CRNA to come up & re-do the epidural. I was hesitant to ask again because I didn't know what the "norm" was - was I to feel the contractions somewhat? should I not be feeling anything? my legs are numb so why was I feeling all the contractions? did the epidural not work? would a 2nd one work? - & I hated to be considered "one of those patients." But according to my nurse she said what I was feeling was not normal & suggested they re-do it so I took her advice & that is what we did.
I felt no discomfort with the 2nd epidural & almost immediately I couldn't feel my contractions either. My nurse was watching the monitor & had asked me "did you feel that contraction?" & I answered her "what contraction?" & she laughed & said "that is more like it"! Ah - relief! SO glad they talked me into getting another one.
Relief after the 2nd epidural & our very last picture as a "family of two" :)
It was around 1:15 pm when I started feeling "pressure" in my bottom with each contraction. I wasn't supposed to be checked again until 1:45pm but called the nurse in to ask her about this "pressure" & I jokingly asked if Baby T could start crowning without me knowing it. She replied more than likely no, but would check me just to relieve my fear. I remember the look on her face clearly after that last internal check. Her eyes got big & said "um - are ready to have a baby? You are 9.5cm & his head is right there!" I remember looking over at Shane, grabbing his hand & I am sure we both looked terrified - excited, nervous, happy & yes - definitely terrified!
At that moment, I thought things got real several days ago - but let me tell you the minute I heard her say that, shit got real X's 10 & I remember this scared feeling came over me & I thought holy shit - this is really happening - we are about to have a baby!!
I think at that moment my denial went out the window & I had finally accepted that we were going to be taking home this precious miracle from God.
...to be cont'd
2 comments:
I have goosebumps! I can't wait for part 2. =)
Wooohooo! Cannot wait to hear part 2. So happy for you!!!
Post a Comment